Monday, January 10, 2011

Tunisian protests - SHTF pretty badly right now

There are some serious protests going on in Tunisian right now over unemployment, corruption and poor living conditions in the Maghreb country. The protests started on 18th of December 2010 and are still going.

This protest represents the most dramatic wave of social and political unrest in over 30 years.

Below is a very, very horrific video, it is NSFW and I would only watch it if you are desensitized to horrific, disgusting things on video:

 There's some reported news on it, which I'll quote a little of and post a link for the full read:

The Tunisian government has said it will listen to protesters, after weeks of unrest over high unemployment and the cost of living left dozens of people dead and raised the tensions.
Samir al-Obaidy, the country's communications minister, told Al Jazeera that the government was responding to the unrest.
"The message has been received by the government and all political channels," he said.
"With the backing of the president, we have already put in place urgent measures and allocated $5bn for the development of various areas."
Government officials reported that 14 people were killed since Saturday in clashes between the security forces and protesters in the towns of Thala, Kasserine and Regueb.
However, Tunisian union sources said that the number was at least 20.
In a statement, several political parties and movements, including the Progressive Democratic Party and the Renewal Movement, called on the government to stop the violence.
They called for "a ceasefire and the return of all military and security forces to their compounds", as well as the "release of all detainees including political ones".
The opposition also demanded more freedoms and asked the government to respect the political will of the people.
 Link to the news source

The above link has a protests section, which explains what's happened up until this event:

There were reports of police obstructing demonstrators and using tear gas on hundreds of young protesters in Sidi Bou Zid in mid-December. The protesters had gathered outside regional government headquarters to demonstrate against the treatment of Mohamed Bouazizi who had set himself on fire to protest the police confiscation of fruit and vegetables he was trying to sell on the streets. Coverage of events was limited by Tunisian media. On 19 December, extra police were present on the streets of the city.[9]
On 22 December, Lahseen Naji responded to "hunger and joblessness." by electrocuting himself after climbing an electricity pylon.[10] Ramzi Al-Abboudi also killed himself because of financial difficulties arising from a business debt by the country's micro-credit solidarity programme.[7] On 24 December, Mohamed Ammari was fatally shot in the chest by police in Bouziane. Other protesters were also injured, including Chawki Belhoussine El Hadri, who died later on30 December.[11] Police claimed they shot the demonstrators in "self-defence." A "quasi-curfew" was then imposed on the city by police.[2]
Violence later increased as Tunisian authorities and residents of Sidi Bou Zid Governorate encountered each other once again. The protests had reached the capital Tunis[10] on 27 December with about 1,000 citizens expressing solidarity[12] with residents of Sidi Bou Zid and calling for jobs. The rally, which was called by independent trade union activists, was stopped by security forces. The protests also spread to Sousse, Sfax and Meknassi.[13] The following day theTunisian Federation of Labour Unions held another rally in Gafsa which was also blocked by security forces. At the same time about 300 lawyers held a rally near the government's palace in Tunis.[14] Protests continued again on the 29 December.[15]
On 30 December, police peacefully broke up a protest in Monastir while using force to disrupt further demonstrations in Sbikha and Chebba. Momentum appeared to continue with the protests on 31 December and further demonstrations and public gatherings by lawyers in Tunis and other cities following a call by the Tunisian National Lawyers Order. Mokhtar Trifi, president of the Tunisian Human Rights League (LTDH), said that lawyers across Tunisia had been "savagely beaten."[11] There were also unconfirmed reports of another man attempting to commit suicide in El Hamma.[16]
On 3 January, protests in Thala over unemployment and a high cost of living turned violent. A demonstration of 250 mostly students in support of the protesteors in Sidi Bouzid was met by police firing of tear gas, a canister of which also landed in a local mosque. In response, the protesters were reported to have set fire to tyres and attacked the office of Constitutional Democratic Rally.[17]
Some of the more general protests sought changes in the government's online censorship, where a lot of the media images have been broadcast. Tunisian authorities also allegedly carried out phishing operations to take control of user passwords and check online criticism. Both state and non-state websites had been hacked.[18]
On 6 January, 95% of Tunisia's 8,000 lawyers went on strike, according to the chairman of the national bar council. He said "The strike carries a clear message that we do not accept unjustified attacks on lawyers. We want to strongly protest against the beating of lawyers in the past few days."[19]It was reported on the following day that teachers had also joined the strike.[20]
Reports indicated that weblogers and a rap singer were arrested. Slim Amamou and Azyz Amamy, two activists, were reported to have "disappeared" as no news was heard about them.Reporters Without Borders said the arrest of at least six webbloggers and activists who had either been arrested or disappeared across Tunisia was brought to their attention and that there were "probably" others.[21]

No comments:

Post a Comment